Lovely Wife of Bold has given me an award so I’m going to go all Gwyneth Paltrow for a minute. So much love . . . sniff . . .blub . .goop . . . thank you . . .
What a delicious way to start the week now that
The Boy and The Girl have finally gone back to school after a week of driving me mad I’m missing spending quality time with my lovely children. The deal is that a) I link to seven other blogs and b) talk about myself endlessly. No problem. After some thought here are my blog choices.
Kit Courtney (My first follower so y’know – a bit special. And she writes with fluidity and ease. And her dog is lovely!)
How Publishing Really Works (Just essential for every writer. Reminds you of where you are aiming as well as how to aim)
Product Placement (Lovely, friendly and loads of useful information about makeup and girl stuff. Could grow to be the UK version of Makeupalley.
Atheist Revolution (Not everyone’s cuppa but a thoughtful passionate and necessary counterpoint to the frightening kind of Christian extremism that grips much of the US by the throat)
The Daily Quail (wonderful slap in the face to the Daily Mail)
Caution – Woman at Work! (Only just discovered this one but it’s energetic, funny and honest)
Help! I Need a Publisher (I particularly like this site because Nicola Morgan deals mainly with children’s books. She is passionate about writing and it really really shows. Her advice is invaluable)
Ten Random Things About Me
1. I once did a parachute jump from 12,000 feet. I’ve never felt fear like it, but once done it gave me a touchstone by which to measure other fears. As in Come on you lazy bint. You’ve jumped out of a plane – now get that script finished you hopeless twat and other exercises in self-love.
2. I think that people accept you the way you present yourself. So walk in with your head held high and nobody will guess you’re a quivering insecure wreck.
3. I bitterly regret sleeping with two particular people. Not at the same time I hasten to add, but both times I slept with them for *cringe* validation. I was very young at the time but it’s something I want to drum into my daughter. Never do this and never assume that if someone wants to go to bed with you, you are somehow obliged to reciprocate.
4. I don’t understand why so many young women are embarrassed to be thought of as feminists. They do believe they should have equal pay, equal rights, support from the fathers of their children, not be subject to gropes and catcalls at work, and reproductive rights though. All things hard won by feminists! Be grateful you selfish minxes!
5. A week before 9/11 I took The Boy up to the top of the World Trade Centre. I remember thinking how cheerful and chatty the lift guy was, considering he took people up and down it all day long. ‘I love my job ma’am’ he said.
6. I can eat my own weight in cheese.
7. I’ve recently taken up running. This may be linked to point 6.
8. When I was a teenager my parents trusted me to attend a Catholic Sunday School. I snuck out and went to see The Clash at Brixton Academy instead. Because I looked so guilty when I returned home (default Catholic behaviour) my parents never questioned me.
9. I don’t get Bo Selecta. I think he’s spectacularly unfunny.
10. When I was small my uncle had this fabulous black labrador dog called Jake who was so well trained, he could be trusted to babysit me. No really. Jake knew he was not to let me out of the house. Then Jake was accused of sheep chasing and my uncle had to shoot him. A week later they found it was another dog. It broke my heart.